Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolution: Trash that old Make-Up Stash

OK world, I will say it "I am a product junkie." I love everything from lipstick to nail polish and before I started my own skin care business, let's not discuss the "research" I conducted in the name of skin care. On top of that, after YEARS of being loyal to a brand of make-up I switched to a mineral based make-up. This left me with a lot of old products that I am no longer using.

So my bathroom is filled with half empty tubes, eye shadow colors from college and black nail polish. I know, I know, I have to let it go. This week's resolution is to get rid of all the expired products.

But how do I know if a product has expired? Here are a few rules of thumb. Do remember that each brand has it own shelf life.

Rule Number One: If it looks bad, smells bad or feels bad, it is bad.
Rule Number Two: The more natural the product, the shorter the shelf life. In other words, Jackson Sage products are on the shorter end of the shelf life due to the lack of chemicals to prolong the shelf life.
Rule Number Three: The more water, the shorter the life span of the product.

Skin and Body Care Products:
* Cleansers/Toners: 6 months to 1 year from purchase.
* Creams/Lotions: 6 months to 1 year from purchase. Look for separate to let you know it is really time to say good bye.
* Oil Based Serums: 1 year from purchase.
* Oil Free Serums: 6 months to 1 year from purchase.
* Masques: 6 months to 1 year from purchase.
* Powder Clay Masque or Cleansers: 1 year from purchase.
* Bar Soap: Rarely do they expire. Natural soaps will over time lose their fragrance due to the lack of chemicals to hold the fragrance.
* Liquid Soap: If it is a detergent based cleansing gel, I suggest throwing it away on principle alone. It is bad for your body and the environment. But if is a natural cleanser, 1 year from purchase.
* Nail Polish: 1 year from purchase, or so I have heard. Not sure how something so toxic can expire. My guess is this number is based on the fact that it starts to dry up after being exposed to air. But it is a good rule of thumb since although flat black was recently in, that might not be the case by the time I actually get around to using it again.

Make -up:
* Liquid Foundation: 1 year from purchase.
* Powders: 2 years from purchase.
* Eye Liner Pencil: 2 years from purchase.
* Mascara: 4 months from purchase.
* Eye Shadow: 2 years from purchase.

Hair:
* Shampoo: 1 to 2 years from purchase.
* Conditioner: 6 months to 2 years from purchase.
* Styling products: 1 to 2 years from purchase.

Mouth:

* Toothpaste: 2 years (see expiration date).

Since most things seem to expire around year. January is a good month to have as the throw away and replace month. This makes it easier to keep track of when it is time to let go of that flat black nail polish.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget The New Year's Resolution Contest!!!

Here are the Contest Rules and how to enter:
To enter, post a comment on the Jackson Sage blog about your New Year's Resolution or a comment about how I am doing. Each week you can post a comment to the New Year's Resolution post. (only one comment per blog entry will be counted towards the contest).

As the end of the month, comments from the months posts will be entered into the contest. The winner will receive a $25. gift certificate to Jackson Sage Online Shoppe. Winners will be posted on the blog the last day of each month.
(you must make comments on the blog and not on Facebook!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to increase your chances to win? Here are ways to have extra entries. Make sure you leave a separate comment for each item you do and each time you do it.


Extra Entries that you can do more than once for the life of the contest:
(Please leave a separate entry for each one/time you do this):
* Use the Share button below, Leave a link or User name. Do as many or as few as you like- this one can be done more than once

Extra Entries: (You can only do the extra entries once for the life of the contest. Please leave a separate comment for each or it will not count as multiple entries.)
* Subscribe to Jackson Sage Newsletter.
* Follow Jackson Sage on Twitter
* Follow Doggie Sage on Twitter.
* Tweet this contest
* Become a fan of Jackson Sage on Facebook
* Become a fan of Doggie Sage on Facebook

11 comments:

Windy said...

I need to clean out my bathroom. I will give it a try this week. Maybe even clean the tub!

Windy said...

Following you on twitter.

Nikky said...

Thanks for the idea. I am trying to clean the house today, maybe I will get in the bathroom and downsize all of my old products.

Nikky said...

Signed up for your Newsletter

Cynthia said...

I have many New Year's resolutions that I would like to accomplish this year, the biggest one is to shed some (ok, a lot of) pounds :D

cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I'm subscribed to Jackson Sage's Newsletter


cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I follow Jackson Sage on Twitter as @THEotherCYNtwit


cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I follow Doggie Sage on Twitter as @THEotherCYNtwit


cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I tweeted:

http://twitter.com/THEotherCYNtwit/status/7397319535


cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I'm a fan of Jackson Sage on facebook

cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

Cynthia said...

I'm a fan of Doggie Sage on facebook - cynthia mariscal

cyn.cynthiia at gmail dot com

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio